Phone interviews are extremely important as far as the hiring process is concerned. This is your opportunity to create a first impression. According to PGP Australia, development of these skills is very important.You cannot expect them to give you a second chance if you have failed to impress them during the phone interview. You need to work on your phone interview skills before you appear for one. Here in this article, we are going to give you the right tips.
Quite environment is a must
- When you speak to the interviewer on the other end, your voice must be audible in the first place. You need to pick a quite environment so that your interviewer can hear you properly.
- Make sure that there are no distractions in the place of your choice. Say NO to all sorts of distractions.
- You need to mute all the background noises whether it is kids crying, dog barking, radio, television etc.
- In case if you are in a loud environment when you receive the call, you can ask the interviewer to wait until you find a quiet place. Or you can reschedule it to a later time.
- You need to find a secluded place that will make it easier for you to speak to your interviewer.
- Rescheduling the interview is recommended in case you can’t find a quite place. You can reschedule it to a time which is convenient for both the parties.
Well, job seekers usually prepare well in advance for in-person interviews. But they don’t prepare well for telephonic interviews which is a big mistake. May be you are confident that you will be able to do well during the telephonic interview. Even in this case, it is better to be prepared. Prepare an introduction in advance. Think about the answers for the common queries that might come your way. Prepare a note so that you can be better equipped to deal with the interview. You need to have the resume and other important materials with you in case if you need to refer them during the call. You need to keep in mind that you will be conversing with an experienced recruiter on the call. Being prepared in advance is a must for the same reason. During the call, they are trying to figure out whether you are perfect for the job or not. They also want to know if your salary expectations match what you have to offer. Most recruiters keep it short. However, you might encounter in-depth conversations every once in a while. At times, you might be talking to the hiring manager. Well, you will not be in trouble if you have prepared well in advance.
Get ready for screening-out queries
As far as the telephonic interviews are concerned, the main objective is to screen-out candidates. They only want promising candidates for an in-person interview. The interviewer is constantly looking for red flags. So you should be well-prepared in advance for the questions meant to achieve the same. You should not be thrown off hearing certain question. You should answer in a calm and confident manner.